Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Absence makes the heart grow fonder...

On Monday of this week, I received a phone call from my mom that my dad was on his way to visit me in Chapel Hill. All he wanted to do was love on me and encourage me, but all I could think about was exhaustion and the huge pile of books sitting next to me.

So I asked him not to come. And now he's on a plane to France.

When I first talked to mom, I thought, for some reason, that he was leaving Tuesday, so I did not for ANY reason want him to spend his last night in America with ME instead of with mom, of course. However, as I spoke with him on the phone today, I realized how much I needed a visit from my dad on Monday...and how much I wish I'd just stayed up for an extra two hours and waited for that knock on the door.

I've heard horror stories the last week about the sudden loss of parents. For some reason, it is hitting me like a truckload of bricks today, as my dad and sister fly off to Europe for what is normally our family vacation. I have become lost in the whirlwind of school and can barely stay focused for the rampant up and down waves of new emotional transition...what a strange time, these mid twenties have become :).

As I reflect now on the past few days, I realize how relational we are as human beings. Normally, society just pegs women as relational. Clearly, per usual, society is wrong. All of us long for partnership with another person. All of us ache for love, affection, affirmation, protection, encouragement, etc. I have realized how fortunate I am to have the gift of a Heavenly Father Who gave up His Son for the sake of rescuing one heart...my heart. It doesn't get more relational than that.

I am beyond thankful to have an earthly father who so accurately represents and imitates the sacrificial love of my Heavenly Father. My father would give up anything, anything, for his family and for his friends. He is loyal, almost to a fault...thankful for his guidance and love in my life now and always.

Fly safe La and Dad. Love you both.

Hebrews 6:13-20

No comments: